Wednesday, June 1, 2016

What Really Matters in Teaching? (The Students)... A Reading Reflection

This week's reading came from Integrating Differentiated Instruction and Understanding by Design, by Tomlinson and McTighe. 

This reading spoke to me at the get-go. My background is in Special Education and I currently work on the RtI team and lead an Education Support Center. I believe that many so called "problems" or "issues" can be resolved with tier one interventions and quality curriculum and teaching. I believe it is the teacher's job (not the student's) to adjust and change based on the students needs. It is the teacher's job (not the student's) to create situations that allow for learning and success. I believe developing true relationships with students is by far the most important thing a teacher can do to help with student engagement, attitude motivation and success. 


Here are some great quotes from the reading: 



“But human beings are varied and complex. The varieties and complexities demand every bit as much study from the teacher as does the curriculum content.”  (12)


“That is, like all humans, they are looking for a sense of their own meanings, roles, and possibilities. They come wanting to make sense of the world around them and their place in that world. Toward that end, they come to the classroom first looking for things like affirmation, affiliation, accomplishment, and autonomy.” (15)


“Quality curriculum should play a central role in meeting the core needs of students for affirmation, affiliation, accomplishment and autonomy, but it is the teacher's job to make the link between the basic human needs of students and curriculum.”  (16)

“In truth, far more students would be successful in school if we understood it to be our jobs to craft circumstances that lead to success rather than letting circumstance take its course. Even the best curriculum delivered in a take-it-or-leave-it fashion will be taken by few and left by too many.” (18)



++++++++++

This is a reading I think I would share with teachers as part of beginning of the year PD. Maybe have them read and respond. Or respond to selected quotes. I like the questions as the beginning of the reading- this could be a starting point or entry questions. Consider looking at the PD protocols.

I've borrowed the book from a colleague and want to see if this is a book that I should purchase to use next year.


I also like how he referred to DI and "responsive teaching". Sometimes the term differentiated instruction is a turn off to teachers or creates an image of special education or lessing of rigor. Reframing the idea as "responsive teaching" is more student focused and sounds more "caring" and all inclusive.


No comments:

Post a Comment