One of the ideas that keep coming up in class is how the current way we are teaching and testing kids really is hurting them in the long run... well maybe hurting isn't the correct word, but how we are limiting them and not preparing them to be creative and innovative thinkers.
It's interesting that almost everyone involved in education disagrees with the current way we are doing things, but in a way we are stuck- we are required to teach and test this way and so we do. We are given blueprints, and told to teach to the test, and our scores are reported and scrutinized. And, we have created a generate of kids who don't like school, find no relevance in what they are learning, cannot problem solve or transfer skills, are scared of making mistakes and have been beaten over the head with standards and testing. Just this week our students have endured two weeks of SOL testing. It stressful and, in so many ways, meaningless.
This is one of my biggest frustrations with public education and one reason I've decided to teach at a private school next year. I've seen what the constant testing has done to students and done to teachers. I've witnessed the change as a teacher, I've heard the concerns as a leader, I've seen the tears as a case manager and I've felt helpless on how to make it better.
Right now I'm looking at the problem from a school leadership point of view, but it angers and saddens me even more to see if from a mother's point of view. I don't want anything to diminish her excitement and wonder for the world. (And it would be heartbreakingly ironic if that is what crushes her spirit her is system that I've made my career in.)
I want my daughter to love learning and be excited about school. I want her to always be curious about the world and know how to answer those questions. I want her to learn skills that will help her in real life situations. I want her to know how to work with others and reflect on what they are saying and what she is thinking. I want her to take safe risks and learn from her mistakes and not feel so overwhelmed or anxious about messing up that she doesn't even try. I want her to learn from others, to respect diversity, to be socially aware and have empathy, I want her to think critically and make her own decisions after looking at all sides. I want her to be a leader and lead with humility and kindness. I want her to know herself and be proud of her strengths and accomplishments and know that weaknesses don't define us, but actually make us better. I want her to laugh and find joy.
Will the current current educational system help her get there???
But, I have hope. There is a movement ahead and the pendulum is beginning to swing...Just wish it was happening faster.
No comments:
Post a Comment