“I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better”- Maya Angelo
Over the last few years, many schools have begun to have conversations about grading. It is an hot issue in education and everyone has their own opinions, reasonings and ways of handling grading. Like many teachers I know, we grade the way we grade because that is the way we were taught or the way we’ve been told by schools that it needed to be done or by the way we were graded when we were in school. However, our methods might be in need of a change.
With the increased emphasis on grades and focus on GPAs and college beginning even in elementary school, it is only natural that teachers would be asked to rethink, contemplate and in some cases, justify, the way they grade. When the conversations started at our school, some teachers became instantly defensive and annoyed with the conversations, most teachers took the opportunity to really reflect and question their grading philosophy and consider if there were better methods- more fair, more accurate, more meaningful ways to grade students. These are the teachers I want on my team, I want teaching my child and I want to be my school leaders.
When I looked at my own grading practices I realized I needed to make some changes- I thought I was fair and I always tried to help my students be successful. BUT what I came to realize as I learned more about grading, is that I often graded for behaviors, I gave extra credit, I took points off for late assignments, I gave students points here and there if they were “close” to a higher grade and “working hard”. I graded homework, I curved grades, I gave points for bringing in tissues, I gave zeros for missing work. If a student failed a test at the end of the unit, I would just move on. I committed all the crimes- and not because I was mean, or didn’t care, or wanted all my kids to make As or didn’t understand the value of grades. I just didn’t know better. I was just doing what others were doing. I was just continuing in the way it had always been. I had honestly never really, and truly and reflective thought about it. I never asked WHY. (I wonder why I didn’t ask questions???)
The more I learn, the more I realize that I have so much to learn. The more questions I ask, the more that come up. The more reflective I become, the more I see the need for reflection. I want to do better. I want to be better. I want to know better.
Check out Fifteen Fixes for Broken Grades by Ken O’Connor for more info and for additional resources to have conversations with teachers about grading practices.
No comments:
Post a Comment