Monday, May 23, 2016

Day One

At first I was bummed that I had to take one final class, I mean, I essentially done with the program. Internship completed, portfolio presented, grades submitted, interviews done, new job secured...this is the last hold out. 

But, as we talked in class and I learned more about the class objectives, I realized the timing is actually perfect. 


In August, I will be taking on a new job as a learning and curriculum specialist private school.  I will be working with the school leadership to help teachers reimagine and refine their curriculum and classroom practices. As their student population is changing (and the world is changing!) they need to reevaluate, and in some cases, modify their current practices. In my mind curriculum is the "what and how" of teaching. It is the goals/objectives, how we get there, including materials, methods and strategies; and it's the evaluations we use to see if we met the goals. 


I love the road trip analogy. For example, my goal is to drive with my family to Florida.  To accomplish this I must do consider how I'm getting there. Is my car ready and tuned up? Am I packed? Do I have snacks and books on tape? Do I know how to get there or do I have my GPS? Have I estimated how long it will take? Have I figured out where I will stop to spend the night? Do I have a back up or alternate plan in case something goes wrong along the way? Etc. These are my methods and materials. I know I'll meet this goal when we all arrive safe a sound and in one piece to our new home. 


We are at a point in history, where the educational system is changing and we need to "reimagine" and borden our understanding of teaching and learning. We need to apply new strategies, look at new research, listen to diverse perspectives, confront old practices that might not be working, be truly reflective, be willing to take risks and try something new, collaborate and learn from each other, adjust our ideas and plans and respond to students' ever changing needs so we can help students make meaning of the world around them. 


I'm excited because I think this class will help prepare me for this new endeavor. I'm hoping it will expose me to literature and research to help deepen my understand of curriculum and learning and give me tools to use when I work with my new teachers. 


So bring it on! 

No comments:

Post a Comment